We recently moved to Melbourne. A new city and new life. My priority is to find a good fresh food market as soon as we have unpacked. From the map I found a giant mall 5 minutes drive away from our house. We are lucky. The selection of fresh produce, deli and seafoods made me very happy. Now it is time to take our first step toward settling down with some tasty food.
Clams (1 kg), olive oil (3 tablespoons), garlic (3 cloves, minced), ginger (about 1 tablespoon, minced), fresh red chilli (1, chopped), juice and rind of 1 lemon, beer (1 bottle), baby parsley, salt and pepper.
What to do:
- Clean clams and leave it in container with tap water overnight to get rid of any sand.
- Add olive oil in a medium size pot over high heat. Add garlic, ginger, lemon rind and chilli, cook until fragrant.
- Add lemon juice and beer, bring to boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add clams to simmer, cover and cook until the shells just opened (discard any that do not open). It seems not all the clams open at the same time. You may need to remove the opened clams and transfer to a bowl and wait for others to open.
- Reduce to cooking juice to about 1and 1/2 cups, put the clams back in the pot and toss to combine.
- Sprinkle with some baby parsley for garnish and serve with toasted bread.