I have been a little home sick lately. It has been two years I haven’t been back to home. Now I just started a new job. A trip to home doesn’t look like is going to happen anytime soon. I am trying to convince my parents to come and visit me. They are still thinking about it. So fingers crossed.
When me and my sisters were little, weekend usually means the whole family spend time together and cook some good food. Food my parents normally don’t have time to cook during week days and need a lot of effort to do it properly. We were so happy to get involved. Even most of the time we were just making a mess. Those are the good times. Although I am so far from home now, I find it is more relaxing if I cook something nice during the weekend.
Dumplings: pork mince (500 g), egg (1), sesame oil (1 tablespoon), ginger (about 1 and 1/2 tablespoons, minced), spring onion (4, finely chopped), Chinese leek (a bunch, about 200 g, chopped), soy sauce (1/2 tablespoon), salt and white pepper, dumpling wrappings (500 g).
Chilli oil sauce: chilli oil (3 table spoons), Sichuan pepper oil (a dash), vinegar (1 table spoon), peanut butter (2 table spoon), soy sauce (1 table spoon), water (1 table spoon), minced garlic (1 clove).
What to do:
- Place pork mince in a mixing bowl, add egg, sesame oil, soy sauce and minced ginger, spring onion, mix in one direction (note: this is to help the mince stuck together).
- Add chopped Chinese leek and mix clockwise until well combined.
- Season with salt and white pepper to taste.
- Now you can start folding dumplings. Make sure all edges are well sealed.
- To make the chilli oil sauce, add all the ingredients together in a jar and give it a good shake until the peanut butter is well combined with everything else.
- In a large pot, boil dumplings in salted water.
- Serve with the above chilli oil sauce and enjoy!