I used pickled cabbage instead of normal cabbage in the rice noodle. It came out delicious. The taste of Chinese pickled cabbage is very similar to sauerkraut, which can be used as replacement. The flavour of pickle, beef, soybean sprout and rice noodle combine very well together. Of course, this is not my invention. Beef and pickle is one of the classics. People in southwest China has been doing it for centuries.
Ingredients: (serves 2)
Fresh rice noodle (250 g), canola oil (3 table spoons), beef (200 g), soybean sprout (1 cup), carrot (1, grated), pickled cabbage (100 g), spring onion (1), garlic (2 cloves), ginger (a size same as 2 cloves of garlic), dried chilli (1, sliced), coriander (for garnish), soy sauce (2 tablespoon), salt and pepper.
beef marinade: minced garlic (1 clove), minced ginger (same size of 1 clove garlic), 1 green onion chopped, white pepper (a pinch), chilly powder (a pinch), corn flour (1 table spoon), soy sauce (1 table spoon), beer (1 table spoon).
What to do:
- Place beef and its marinade in a bowl, mix together and let it marinate for at least half hour.
- In a medium size pot, add water and bring to boil.Turn off the heat, add rice noodle and soak for 10 minutes or until rice noodle is soft and chewy. Drain and run through with hot tap water.
- To stir fry, into a frying pan heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over high heat. Add marinated beef and stir fry until all the beef pieces changed colour and turn off the heat. Transfer it into a container and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the rest of canola oil and cook dried chilli, garlic, ginger and spring onion over medium heat until aroma comes out. Add pickled cabbage and fry for 1 minute, then add soybean sprout and grated carrot, fry for 3-4 minutes. Followed by adding rice noodle and soy sauce, stir to combine.
- Finally, add cooked beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with coriander, serve while warm.