Merry Christmas everyone! Hope you are having a good one.
I am normally not a salad person. But last week Ian ordered something from a salad bar which was really tasty! So good that made me want to jump up and make something just like that. The key was the zesty dressing, after long search online, this tasted close enough.
Roasted Turkey (chopped into big chunks), mixed salad greens, parsley leaves, tomato (chopped), kalamata olives, sundried tomato (cut into strips)
Dressing: olive oil (1/2 cup), red wine vinegar (1/4 cup), sugar (2 teaspoon, add 1 teaspoon first, then adjust to your taste), dried oregano (1 teaspoon), dried basil (1 teaspoon), garlic (1 clove, minced), dijon mustard (1 tablespoon), salt and pepper.
What to do:
- Toss all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix all the dressing ingredient in another small bowl, whisk with a spoon until well combined. Adjust all seasoning to suit taste, including the sugar, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing all over the salad, toss to combine.
My mother did lots of good old home cooking during her visit. The familiar flavours has brought back a lot of childhood memories. I really had to hold my urges of taking any photos of my mom’s cooking. Mostly because it takes a long time to get a perfect shot and I didn’t want to keep everyone waiting. So I will be trying my best to replicate some of her best dishes in the coming weeks.
Ian also has been very good and politely ate everything my mom cooked. Just between you and me, he rarely eats any Asian greens I make at home. He was doing his best to impress…
So today’s dish is my mom’s recipe 🙂
There is one ingredient of today’s recipe probably needs a little explanation, the tofu sheets, it is a tofu which has been pressed into thin sheets. It has a texture of half way between firm tofu and noodle. I really like it. Ian is not a huge fan of tofu, but he also likes tofu sheets. So don’t be so judgemental because it has something to do with tofu. Give it a shot when you have a chance. As for the rest of the dish, spinach pairs perfectly with a simple ginger & vinegar dressing. Tofu sheets added another layer of texture to whole dish. Simply delicious!
Spinach (1 bunch), thin tofu sheets (1 sheet, sliced), dried chilli (1, seeded and sliced), garlic (1 clove, minced), ginger (same size of 1 clove of garlic, minced), canola oil (1 1/2 tablespoon), apple cider vinegar (1 1/2 tablespoon) and salt.
What to do:
- Blanch spinach and tofu sheets briefly in boiling hot water, strain and set aside.
- Place minced garlic and ginger, chilli and canola oil in a small microwave bowl. Heat the mixture in the microwave for 1 minute under high heat.
- Mix the blanched spinach, tofu sheets, the above ginger & garlic oil mixture and apple cider vinegar together.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve as a side.
It is summer time, I found some ripe figs and blackberries at the supermarket today. They are so marvellous!
figs (2), blackberry (125 g), fresh mint leaves, lettuce leaves, goat cheese.
Dressing: juice of half lemon, honey (1 teaspoon), olive oil (half teaspoon).
What to do :
- Cut figs into quarters. Toss figs, blackberry, mint leaves, lettuce leaves, goat cheese together.
- In a small, mix all the ingredients for dressing together.
- Pour the dressing all over the salad.
- Serve as a side dish. (You can match with roast pork.)