Mussels are very photogenic. It looks great in a plate and tastes awesome. A simple delicious recipe is enough to make it shine.
Spaghetti (250 g), mussels (2 dozen), onion (1), garlic (1 clove), chilli powder (a pinch), canned whole tomato (1 can), salt and pepper, chopped flat leaf parsley, olive oil.
What to do:
- Place a large pot of salted water onto boil. Add spaghetti and cook until al dente.
- While pasta is cooking, dice onion and garlic.
- Into a frying pan heat generous amount of olive oil over medium heat, add chilli powder and garlic, then onion and cook until caramelised. Stir in canned whole tomato, try to break up whole tomato into pieces and simmer it for 3-4 minutes, season with salt and pepper.
- Add mussels and cover with a lid. Cook, shaking the pan occasionally, for 2 minutes. Remove opened mussels and set aside. Cook for a further 2 minutes, then discard any mussels that remain closed. Return opened mussels to the pan and season to taste.
- Add the spaghetti to the sauce and toss to combine. Garnish with chopped flat leaf parsley.
- Serve while warm.