This is the recipe remind me of home the most. I grew up in a city called Lanzhou which is in the northwest part of China. It is a city that is famous for its noodle making techniques. Lanzhou sits on the ancient silk road, which was a trade and cultural transmission route that were used to carry out Chinese silk to western world. At the same time, lots of western spices and cultures were also introduced to Chinese by foreign traders. As a result, Northwest Chinese cuisine nowadays uses a lot of ingredients (or spices) like tomato, onion, lamb, beef, white pepper, cumin, etc., which is not very common for cuisines from other part of China.
The Flavour combination I have today is garlic shoots, capsicum, tomato and lamb (or beef). Garlic shoots (also known as garlic scapes) is a kind of Chinese veggie. They are the “flower stalks” of hardneck garlic plants. You can probably find them in your local Chinese groceries.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
diced lamb (200 g), garlic shoots (1 bunch), red capsicum (1), tomato (2), mushroom (50 g), fresh flat noodles or fettuccine (400 g), canola oil (3 tablespoons), salt and pepper.
lamb marinade: canola oil (1 teaspoon), chilli flakes (1 teaspoon), cumin (1 teaspoon), white pepper (1 teaspoon), soy sauce (1.5 teaspoon), ginger powder (1 teaspoon) and sichuan pepper powder (1 teaspoon).
What to do:
- Marinate diced lamb with its marinade, set aside.
- Chop all the veggies.
- Into a wok heat 1 tablespoon of canola oil over high heat, add marinated lamb and stir fry until all the lamb pieces change colour. Turn off the heat and transfer the cooked lamb in a bowl, set aside.
- Into the same wok heat the rest of canola oil over high heat. Add tomatoes and mushrooms first, stir fry until tomatoes are soften and become a sauce. Then add garlic shoots and capsicum, stir fry until the garlic shoots is cooked (when the spicy taste of raw garlic shoots disappears and try not to overcook the veggies). Add the cooked lamb, salt and pepper, mix until everything is well combined, turn off the heat.
- Cook the flat noodles (or fettuccine) according to its package instruction.
- Serve the noodles with the above veggie stir fry.