This was my first time roasting a whole chicken from scratch. I think next time I will marinate the chicken the night before. I roasted for about 50 minutes. It was a little too short, because the meat close the bone was bit pink. The flavor was good, just need some improvements.
A whole chicken (1.6 kg), 1 potato, 1 onion, 2 clove of garlic, ginger (same size as 2 cloves of garlic), soil sauce (1/4 cup), beer (1/4 cup), white pepper (1 teaspoon), chilli powder (1/2 teaspoon), cumin powder (1 teaspoon), dried rosemary (1 teaspoon).
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Mince garlic, ginger. Slice onion and cut potato into wedges.
- Cut chicken open along the backbone and push it flat to make it look like butterfly shape. This is to make cooking time shorter. (Obvious still need to be longer than 50 minutes)
- To make a marinade: mix garlic, ginger, onion, soil sauce, beer, white pepper, chilli powder, cumin powder and dried rosemary in a mixing bowl.
- Rub marinade all over chicken, marinate for 30 minutes. (I think it is better to marinate over night.)
- Lay the marinated chicken skin side down in a baking dish, and place potato wedges in spare spaces. The marinade is little watery, pour the rest of the marinade into the baking dish.
- Roast for 30 minute, then take out and flip over. Roast for another 20 minutes.( It definitely needs bit longer, I will experiment again and let you know how much longer it will need.)